Disable RPM's autoprovide function

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Nov 28 05:44:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 23:31 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Stewart Adam <s.adam at diffingo.com> said:
> > A bug report at Livna (#1741) pointed out that the
> > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-32bit package is pulled in over mesa-libGL.i386
> > when the 32-bit library "libGL.so.1" is required on x86_64 (in the
> > user's case, it was while installing wine). libGL.so.1 is automatically
> > provided because of the scripts that RPM runs at the end of a build - Is
> > there some way to override this or disable it so that libGL.so.1 is only
> > provided by mesa-libGL?
>
> This comes up with perl modules regularly (as someone else has pointed
> to the hack used there).
Right. IMO, rpm's procedure to extract perl autoprovides on "*.so"'s is
"simply broken/wrong".

> Why does RPM (well, the scripts used in rpm-build) look in non-standard
> directories?  Shouldn't libraries only be automatically "provided" if
> they are in standard library directories, perl modules should only be
> "provided" if they are in standard perl directories, etc.?
Wrt. perl's *.so, IMO definitely yes.

Wrt. to general libs, I am inclined to agree, too. But there are some
corner-cases, people felt rpm's current way is the "right thing" (e.g.
packages manipulating ld.so.conf or supplying /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*).

Ralf