alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Nov 28 23:13:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:15:15PM +0100, Martin Stransky wrote:
> P.S.: ISC is quite paranoid about releasing "stable" versions bacause it
> has customers who pay for ISC software and use it in critical environment.
> So in this case I think we can be quite relaxed.

But doesn't ISC also need a period of releases where they can go hog
wild with changes, new features, etc. and not worry about stability as
much?  Isn't that period of time usually called "Alpha"?  It's like
Rawhide--the software in there may be stable, but it doesn't have to
be, and often isn't at the beginning of a new release cycle.

It's all about perception.  I wouldn't put Rawhide on my production
servers, and I don't expect something that upstream calls "Alpha" to
be on my production servers either.