Re: Bootup speed for F8

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Eric Sandeen wrote:

Dimi Paun wrote:
Hi folks,

I've currently upgraded to F8, congrats!

Just thought of sharing a data-point for startup speed
(measured from GRUB, so excluding all the BIOS stuff):
  * to graphical init: 30s
  * to login prompt: 1m8s
  * after login, to responsive state: 14s

That's 1m22s to start. On a good desktop: Intel Duo 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM.
With the BIOS thrown in, it takes over 2minutes to be able to get
into the box.

That's rather slow, no?

Try disabling service that you think you'll never use. Also don't start network (and yum-updatesd also) at startup and delay it by putting 'service network start &' in /etc/rc.local. Because you can't use network unless you login.

My Fedora 8 takes 50seconds from Grub to login screen (I mean time from pressing enter in grub screen to the time when login screen appears and i can login) on AMD64 3000+ (solo core) and 1GB RAM :)

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Institute: http://www.iiit.ac.in/
My Linux-Blog: http://linux.saini.co.in/