Bootup speed for F8

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Thu Nov 29 23:04:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Dimi Paun wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've currently upgraded to F8, congrats!
>>
>> Just thought of sharing a data-point for startup speed
>> (measured from GRUB, so excluding all the BIOS stuff):
>>   * to graphical init: 30s
>>   * to login prompt: 1m8s
>>   * after login, to responsive state: 14s
>>
>> That's 1m22s to start. On a good desktop: Intel Duo 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM.
>> With the BIOS thrown in, it takes over 2minutes to be able to get
>> into the box.
>>
>> That's rather slow, no?

    Try disabling service that you think you'll never use. Also don't start
network (and yum-updatesd also) at startup and delay it by putting
'service network start &' in /etc/rc.local. Because you can't use network
unless you login.

    My Fedora 8 takes 50seconds from Grub to login screen (I mean time from
pressing enter in grub screen to the time when login screen appears and i
can login) on AMD64 3000+ (solo core) and 1GB RAM :)

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Institute: http://www.iiit.ac.in/
My Linux-Blog: http://linux.saini.co.in/