bodhi update problem

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Oct 5 17:38:19 UTC 2007

I built an updated vorbis-tools package to fix bz#244757[1] but bodhi
won't let me push the update for F7.  When I select Add Update, I get
an error that states:

    tmz does not have commit access to vorbis-tools

This is partly true.  Though the package is open to cvsextras, which
is how I had acccess to commit the changes.  What's the best way to
solve this?  Do I need to nag one of the primary maintainers of
vorbis-tools to do the actual push in bodhi (or request more
privileges from the pkgdb)?

Would it be reasonable to allow members of cvsextras to push an update
to -testing if the package is open to cvs commits from cvsextras?
That'd facilitate someone coming along and helping fix low-hanging
fruit bugs like this -- freeing up the maintainers to work on the
harder and more pressing bugs.

Pushing to -testing would provide some warning to the primary
maintainers if someone were to try and push an update they thought
shouldn't be pushed.  Then they could unpush it to prevent it from
getting into the stable updates.

(I'm not sure what the best balance is here, I can see reasons for
allowing or for denying such access in bodhi.)

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/244757

Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
    -- W. Somerset Maugham