readahead_early.

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 07:27:18 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 10:32:20AM +0200, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > FWIW, on my test box, entirely *disabling* readahead saves 2-4 seconds
> > on boot time... :)

 Unfortunately you're right. I'm really thinking that we need to
 complete remove this package from Fedora 9.

> Shouldn't we then disable it for F8? AFAIK we also wanted to remove
> many other less critical services that are only needed on a low
> percentage of installed systems.

 I agree that readahead_{easy,later} should be disabled by default.

 I'd like to test it on an old HW (for example a laptop with slow HDD)
 and see more bootcharts.

 Volunteers? ...

 # chkconfig readahead_early on
 # chkconfig readahead_later on