Sierra Wireless on Rawhide

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 10:07:27 UTC 2007

Thus, Pete Zaitcev at Tue Oct  9 03:23:28 2007 inscribed:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:20:26 +0100, Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to get UMTS working through the Sierra chip in my
> > Thinkpad X60s and for some reason, the USB subsystem in F8 TestN and
> > Rawhide clocks that I have the Sierra chip, configures it (udev
> > creates /dev/ttyUSB[0-2]) and then immediately disconnects the device,
> > meaning I no longer see it in lsusb output etc. This was not the case
> > in F7.
>
> > Oct  7 12:44:02 iota kernel: sierra 3-1:1.0: Sierra USB modem (3 port) converter detected
> > Oct  7 12:44:02 iota kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 2
>
> Linux never disconnects anything by itself, but something we do makes
> your device to roll over and play dead.

As far as I can see, on the latest kernel compiled with USB debug
enabled, the device is noticed by uhci_hcd (messages in log) and once
the swap is enabled the device is disconnected and I can no longer see
it.

> Please send me a usbmon trace
> (see /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.22/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).

I'll have to instrument something to run early enough in rc.sysinit or
from the initrd so that this can be captured. The point in time where
the device is disconnected is just to early.

Would an initrd generated without usb support allow me to load the
modules one at a time to get this set up so I can use usbmon you
think?

> Also, I'd like to see /proc/bus/usb/devices (please disable sierra
> driver by renaming or blacklisting it temporarily so it does not
> kill the device before you can capture the devices file). I'll poke
> the upstream about it we can put together an error case.

sierra and usbserial is blacklisted, and the device still get
disconnected.

Thanks!

--
Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk>