Re: samba license change

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 12:31 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:20:14PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > I prefer to rely on existing precedences which had been approved by
> > courts, and not a political party's wishful thinking.
>
> Then you never change licenses?
As upstream? Yes, almost never, because this is almost never possible.

>  Somebody have to take the risk to
> release software under the new license in order to have it challenged in
> court. It is logical that those who need the new features of the license
> (the samba team) takes the risk.
The problem is the infectious nature of switching to GPLv3 and the
unclarities attached to it.

One detail: The "GPLv2 or any later version" clause is inacceptable to
several project and probably is incompatible and/or void in some legal
systems (In Germany, it is controversial).

Did somebody consider something along these lines might be the cause for
TrollTech having used GPLv2 only?

Ralf