better install experience

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 10 21:02:31 UTC 2007

On 10.10.2007 22:23, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> [...]
> I asked DaveJ not to enable the ntfs kmod.

..and you two never cared to at least update the informations in the
bug? The last comment is from 2007-05-28 and people IMHO deserve at
least a answer.

> 1. It doesn't work as well as ntfs-3g.

Arguable -- some people have more trust in the kernel stuff where
kernel-developers keep a close eye on.

> 1A. It doesn't have RW support.

True; but on the other hand:

1B: ntfs from the kernel doesn't need fuse and thus you don't have to
add yourself to the fuse group.

> 2. It is unmaintained upstream.

Okay, there is not much work being done...
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=history;f=fs/ntfs;hb=HEAD
...but I would not call it unmaintained.

Further from
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=MAINTAINERS;h=9a91d9e3f1f25c2e0aaded950fae19e4d6fa7e08;hb=HEAD

NTFS FILESYSTEM
[...]
S:      Maintained

> 3. mount.ntfs points to ntfs-3g in Fedora. So, even if someone gets the
> ntfs.ko in place, they're still probably using ntfs-3g.

Nope:

$ /sbin/modinfo ntfs
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.23-0.202.rc8.fc8/extra/ntfs/ntfs.ko
$ LC_ALL=C rpm -q ntfs-3g
package ntfs-3g is not installed
$ LC_ALL=C ls {/usr,}/{s,}bin/mount*ntfs
ls: cannot access /usr/sbin/mount*ntfs: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/mount*ntfs: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /sbin/mount*ntfs: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /bin/mount*ntfs: No such file or directory
$ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/misc/
$ mount | grep /dev/sda3
/dev/sda3 on /mnt/misc type ntfs (rw)

----

/me will keep away from this thread now -- this won't lead to anything
anyway; I'll tag it in the growing categories "Fedora knows better then
me want I want" and "why Fedora never will become a true community
distribution"

Cu
knurd