better install experience

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 22:13:50 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Christopher Brown <snecklifter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Love to.
>
> http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm

Correct me if I'm reading it wrong... but the information on that
benchmark page
seems to indicate that the NTFS listings are made using the native
Windows NTFS driver running under Windows XP.

Quoting:
"For NTFS the native 32-bit Windows XP-SP2 driver was used."
"The NTFS filesystem and driver, performed very poorly, especially
when copying from one NTFS partition to another. It is possible the
problem is not filesystem related, but due to the SATA driver that
shipped with the motherboard (or Windows XP). Or, it might be a
problem related to running a 32-bit operating system on a 64-bit
machine. Who knows?"
"Interestingly enough, the NTFS/fuse project is most probably another
effort designed to have NTFS preform poorly under Linux. By design,
NTFS/fuse is a user space driver, and thus will never compete
favorably with Microsoft's kernel drivers. The Linux NTFS kernel
driver was knocked on the head some years ago, after claims, probably
false, of how dangerous it was to use. Anyway, instead of fixing the
supposed problems, the work to that point was just thrown away and the
NTFS/fuse project started."

End of qoutes from the url listed.

-jef