Merging totem and totem-xine

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 22:51:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 18:00 -0400, Stewart Adam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 23:16 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 23:14 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> > > While I think your idea about these descriptions is good, it seems
> > > entirely infeasible, [...]
> >
> > Rereading my message, I should clarify this: It's not entirely
> > infeasible as a concept; but as you had worded it (Stewart), it would
> > have been so.
> That's true, I forgot about that. How does this sound:
>
> "Totem's backend specifies which set of codecs Totem should use to play
> multimedia files. Selecting Gstreamer will use all installed gstreamer
> codecs, while selecting Xine will use all available Xine codecs."

That wouldn't really help, would it? What are xine-lib and GStreamer,
what do they play? The xine-lib backend is fine for power-users to
choose (or their admins make the choice for them), but it's not
something you'd want to present to users.

I'll mention it once again: I don't want to see this sort of dialogue in
Totem, or in the default installation. After that, feel free to discuss
implementation and wording for addition in another add-on application.

> PS. Doesn't xine-lib itself support DVD menus, just not (css-)encrypted
> ones?

No, as there's no MPEG-2 video decoder in Fedora's xine-lib (and if
there is, it shouldn't be there).