Re: CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 07:47:52PM -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > 2) DVD: isn't live (duh :)  but requires DVD burner and drive to do
> > installs.
>
> In the "first world" a DVD burner is $50 or less and a DVD reader is
> $30 or less.  In other places (or if those prices are a serious barrier)

Oh god not this again

Today people still ship new laptops with CD-R/CD-RW drives. Lots of them.
You can't fit a $30 DVD reader to them.

> then share through a user group or a buddy, or postal mail, etc.  Seriously.
> The isolated boxes with no DVD also tend to have anemic network connectivity.

Mine has 100Mbit ethernet, wireless, bluetooth and serial.

We should be shipping a CD set. I consistently see people going to Ubuntu
after asking for a Fedora CD and being told they can't update that way.

Alan