F9: system wide proxy settings at install

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:31:41 UTC 2007

Ian Thurlbeck wrote:

> For FC9, how about setting a proxy early in the installer and using this
> for all web-using applications ?

As someone else who sits behind a compulsory proxy I'd second any
request to improve proxy support in Fedora and would be happy to help
out to make this happen.

However, the problem could end up being quite complex.  Lots of programs
  (eg firefox) have their own proxy settings and sorting all of these
out won't be trivial.

The other problem is that a proxy isn't forever!  If I take my laptop
and stick it on a wireless network I don't want it trying to contact my
work's proxy server.

A previous suggestion (ages ago and not by me) was to set up a local
proxy on the machine and make all applications use that.  You'd then use
Network Manager to manipulate the local proxy to pass through the
appropriate proxy for whichever connection you were currently using.
Isn't this similar to what is currently done for DNS services through
Network Manager?  It does smell a bit like a kludge though...

Simon.