CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 13:05:55 UTC 2007

Off list; so I don't pollute the list with a personal rant :)

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:50 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Jeu 11 octobre 2007 14:14, Lubomir Kundrak a écrit :

> >> It's user-unfriendly. People want to configure their install, press
> >> go, and walk away do other stuff while the install proceeds.
> >
> > Every activity that deals with computers consists of user actions and
> > waiting for a computer to finish a task, and then action again, etc.
> > The
> > software just have to balance the extent this happens to depending on
> > complexity of possible software solutions and available hardware.
>
> Err, I'm sorry but the guy who wrote the MS installer could have
> answered the same as you.

When I last saw windows, what the installer was doing after the reboot
was essential system configuration. Maybe roughly equivalent to our
firstboot, but that's another story.

This is completly different to selecting additional packages to install.
Most, if not all people install packages to an installed system
(rebooted after install). I really don't know what's the problem with it
-- install a (fairly complete, when it comes to the Live media) system,
reboot and then add a couple of apps you use.