disable cpuspeed while X session active and screensaver not running

On Fedora 7, running on an AMD64 dual core 6400, I disabled cpuspeed.

The results are incredible. Because the CPU clock stays up all the time at 3.2GHz, instead of being pushed down most of the time to 1GHz, the system feels much faster. All desktop apps seem to react 10x faster. It's like upgrading from 486 to P3 The difference in CPU temperature after stopping cpuspeed is barely noticeable.

But come to think of it, I only want to disable cpuspeed when these two conditions are fulfilled simultaneously:
- an X session is running
- the screensaver is not active
In any other case, cpuspeed should run.

Wait, for laptops, a third condition must be fulfilled too:
- the system is not running on batteries

I'm not sure whether this should be something solved upstream, or not.
Maybe cpuspeed needs to become smarter.
Maybe the distribution needs to do things that involve several different components, such as, in this case, xorg, cpuspeed and screensaver.

What do y'all think?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/