disable cpuspeed while X session active and screensaver not running

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Oct 11 18:06:56 UTC 2007

More cool stuff:
If there is an easy way to control cpuspeed, it would be nice to have
some sort of dispatcher combine several types of events, make decisions
based on them, and then send signals to cpuspeed, such as: "don't
throttle the CPU, we're in the middle of something", or "go ahead and
throttle, do what you want". Or even "something's wrong, force throttling".

It would be nice if applications had a way to communicate
throttling-related info to such a dispatcher. E.g., let's say Qjackctl
is running, and the user clicked on the Start button, so therefore jackd
is running. In that case, even if the screensaver would later send a
throttling request, it should be overriden by Qjackctl's own request
that says "don't throttle, even if screensaver kicks in."
Something like a system of priorities.

I guess what I'm saying is - throttling is technically good, but it's
something the users may not want, and because it looks like something
that can be managed by a clever software, the burden of managing
throttling should not be pushed onto the users.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/