Re: Memory usage - default X install can't use yum with 1GB RAM machine

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 16:26 -0400, sean darcy wrote:
> James Antill wrote:
> >  I've attached a simple python script I've used, it's not perfect but it
> > shows roughly how much dead memory you have and will kind of show where
> > it is.
> >

> Great script. But is rebooting the only answer?

 So what it tries to show is how much memory is being "allocated" to
files that no longer exist. This _could_ be a normal thing, but is most
often due to shared libraries that have either been upgraded or changed
via. prelink ... but which are still mapped into another application.

 So, yes, the only way to fix that is to "reboot" the application so it
uses the new version of the shared library instead of the old deleted
one. For some applications it's easy enough to just restart them, for
others you might as well just reboot the entire machine.

> I wondered whether prelink cleaned up after itself.

 It's not really prelink's fault, it's doing what it should. It can just
be annoying how much RAM it uses sometimes.

--
James Antill <james antill redhat com>
Red Hat