Making PackageKit work with pirut and pup

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Oct 14 18:16:47 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 12:56 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've come across a problem: The aim is for a user to be able to install
> either:
>
> * system-config-printer, pirut and yum
> * system-config-printer, PackageKit and yum
> * system-config-printer, PackageKit, pirut and yum
>
> Unfortunately system-config-printer hardcodes:
>
> Requires: pirut
>
> when it should probably either
> "Require: /usr/sbin/system-install-packages" or require some other
> identifier that both PackageKit and pirut could provide.
>
> I don't think PackageKit can just "Provide: pirut 1.1.4" as this
> prevents us installing both pirut and PackageKit, nor can we just do
> "Obsoletes: pirut, Provides: Pirut" in the PackageKit spec file.
>
> If system-config-printer requires /usr/sbin/system-install-packages then
> we should probably use alternatives so that PackageKit and pirut can
> both provide this file.
>
> Advice on how to patch s-c-p and also how to setup alternatives is
> welcomed. I can't really submit PackageKit into the fedora repo until
> this issue is fixed.

I think using alternatives is probably the best we can do for now.
Unfortunately, it seems that the packaging guidelines contain no details
on how to properly setup up a package for using alternatives (except for
a passing mention in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts ). One example I could
find quickly is in the cdrkit spec - I have no idea if it is a good
example, though.

But solving the system-install-packages problem should not block
PackageKit from entering the repo, I think. PackageKit is useful even if
it doesn't have system-install-packages yet.

Matthias