googleearth?

Benjamin Lewis ben.lewis at benl.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 22:27:18 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007 10:29:40 pm Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 16:26 -0400, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> > Anyone have any luck running googleearth on F8? It hangs at random
> > points and never gets past the server login attempt.
>
> Randomly hanging (well, not so random, see strace :) with both fglrx and
> intel hardware. A good explanation is "proprietary pile of crap" ;)
>
> --
> Lubomir Kundrak (Red Hat Security Response Team)

FWIW, it hasn't worked for me since the star viewing stuff came along. Looking
at strace it always hangs in the same place:

there are a few thousand of:
futex(0x8e1a714, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0

then about 20 or so (with different libraries):
open("./tls/i686/sse2/libCg.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

then another 100 or so :
futex(0x8e1a714, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0

before hanging here:
ioctl(7, 0x4008642a, 0xbfe1d49c)        = 0
ioctl(7, 0xc00c645c <unfinished ...>

The full strace is absolutly huge, but you can find it at
http://benl.co.uk/files/googleearth.strace .

Doubt its of any help though, since both it and fglrx are closed source :(.
--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador
ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118