openoffice-pyuno and external python programs

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 12:17:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 13:06 +0200, Zoltan Kota wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The openoffice.org-pyuno package installs uno.py and other files
> under /usr/lib/openoffice.org/program/, so with the default installations
> and settings importing uno.py from external python programs gives an
> import error. Program specific patches could be used probably to add this
> 'strange' path to pythonpath, but wouldn't be better to make available
> these moduls for python at the openoffice level? See below what debian
> does.
> Any thoughts, ideas?

Hmm, what does
readelf -d /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pyuno.so | grep RPATH
say on debian ? Is there an absolute entry in there so get it to find
the libraries it needs ?

One work-around might be to stick this at the top of the python program

import sys
import distutils.sysconfig
sys.path.append(distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var('LIBDIR') + \
  '/openoffice.org/program')
import uno

C.