Experimental ppc livecd-iso-to-stick support

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 03:06:29 UTC 2007

Spent a while beating on a usb stick to make it boot my powerbook. Once
that was working, I attempted to add support to livecd-iso-to-stick to
set up a stick automagically. The work-in-progress, works-for-me fruits
of my labor:

http://people.redhat.com/jwilson/misc/livecd-iso-to-stick.ppc
http://people.redhat.com/jwilson/misc/livecd-iso-to-stick-ppc.diff

A few caveats:

1) only works on ppc macs

2) requires repartitioning sticks to use a mac partition table (script
includes some support for auto-formatting)

3) at the moment, some usb open firmware devices are hard-coded, so it
only boots in a specific usb port (the one on the right side of my
powerbook g4)

4) requires entering open firmware and manually specifying the boot
device (not sure why holding down option at boot doesn't find it).

5) not tested on any other machines yet

Thanks be to Ralf Ertzinger for pointing me to his ydl4 usb boot docs,
which helped out a ton convincing things to work. Definitely still needs
testing and plenty of room for improvement, but I think its a decent
start...

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com