Re: gnome keyring always needs to be unlocked

Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton <at> gmail.com> writes:
> That is absolutely 100% not true.  If someone steals your laptop and
> you have a passwordless keyring like in KWallet, your passwords are
> pretty much stolen.  Boot off a bootable cd mount the filesystem,
> done.

You have a point there, but isn't that use case better served by encrypting the
entire home directory, not just the keyring/wallet? Many users have plenty of
sensitive data outside the keyring/wallet too.

(By the way, KWallet isn't always passwordless, it just allows it. I consider
gnome-keyrings refusal to allow an empty password a typical example of
GNOME's "we know better than you" attitude.)

        Kevin Kofler