Re: gnome keyring always needs to be unlocked

Robert Relyea wrote:
Douglas McClendon wrote:
Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 10/18/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Encrypted home directories are a solution for a computer which can be stolen. If you're worried about your central server getting stolen, you have bigger security problems than keyring security. ;-) Permissions should be enough to
secure a computer if physical security is present.

Are suggestion that linux laptop users are somehow immune to falling
prey to problem which require  troubleshooting application
configurations stored in a user's home directory?

It's an interesting question as to what 'doesn't matter'. I.e. mail server passwords and other data and configuration stored in ~/.thunderbird. Or everything stored in ~/.firefox. Those seem to me to be things I'd like encrypted by default as a laptop user, in addition to what you described as some special xdg style directory.
Your general data is stored in ~/.thunderbird and ~/.firefox, but your passwords are already stored encrypted in those directories (or should be if you have "use master password to encrypt" set in your privacy/password settings).

Those are true things, but don't really have anything to do with point I was making. I'm a fan of a few good layers of security for a typical laptop/desktop scenario. A nice firewall with everything closed to the outside world, except that which is exlicitly allowed. A nice encryption of the entire home directory, and screensaver locking. Then, once I'm inside those layers, I prefer to not use things like master passwords in thunderbird and firefox. If you can convince me that using master passwords, in combination with some alternate overall scheme provides a better balance of security and convenience... let the debate begin. But be warned, I place a pretty high relative value on convenience.

-dmc