Multiarch conflicts on devel packages with %doc files

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Oct 21 12:02:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 11:33 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 06:55:25 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 23:14 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > > ...and from elsewhere in the thread, unless you install carefully
> > > (install -p) it's not just generated files that'll mismatch but even
> > > header files that were copied into a devel rpm.
> > Well, my view is converse: "install -p" doesn't solve anything, because
> > it doesn't work on generated files.
>
> Right. Originally, the reason why "install -p" and "cp -p" have made
> it into pkg review comments is only that _old_ files from tarballs (or
> additional SourceX tags) stay _old_ when copying them into the rpm
> buildroot -- i.e. their old timestamps are preserved. That way the pkg
> users
^^^^^^^ => It's just convenience to cater certain user habits.

Technically, it's sense-free eye-candy.

>  can see the age of files more easily and see when a file has
> been updated last.

>  There is a relevant use-case for %doc and %config
> at least.
How? %doc are completely irrelevant to an installed system, for %config
it's contents that matters (did the files contents change?), not
timestamps.

There is only one use case, where it really matters: time-based
dependencies. Such cases normally only occur for back ups and for
expanded build-trees.

Ralf