Multiarch crazyiness

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 08:52:20 UTC 2007

Jon Masters wrote:
>  It obviously was a kludge. And a great one - Jeremy, Bill, and other
> *smart* people (so don't get me wrong guys!) had to come up with a
> solution at some point when this came up, but it's long since time to
> take a big breath and think about a longer term fix.
>
> Can we agree that needs to happen? If so, I'll happily actually get
> involved in implementing a fix, as I've said to these folks in face to
> face conversations about multilib before!

Why don't we just install 64 bit packages (on x86-64)[1]?  I've been
running Fedora 7 & 8 systems like this for ages without any problems.  I
can't see why it isn't the default, with kludges only for the people who
want 32 bit packages on their shiny 64 bit processor.

Rich.

[1] Or just 32 bit packages on ppc64.