Multiarch crazyiness

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 18:41:31 UTC 2007

> Jon Masters (jcm at redhat.com) said:
> > I know you don't like the bin32/bin64 idea, but I think it's the only
> > real way to "solve" having both binary flavors of a package installed at
> > the same time, if that needs to be solved.
>
> I'm of the opinion that that doesn't need to be solved.

I'm not entirely convinced people don't want it solved - but
whatever ;-) I still think a bin32/bin64 would be the only way to
actually address that, if it were to be addressed. I'll shutup.

> > The lesser issue - more
> > easily solved - is that of libraries, where I think a general consensus
> > to split them out into -libs packages over time would do the trick.
>
> Yep. The problem is that, as it stands now, this requires changes to yum
> and the metadata to handle upgrades right.

Right. I guess I was just frustrated before when I jumped into this
thread, because this does seem to be the solution, so I would like to
see it happen - my only reason for pushing for meetings/whatever is that
we need some kind of mandate/policy to implement such a change. Right?

Jon.