multiarch conflicts

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Oct 22 20:30:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 02:39:34PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) said:
> > How are the multilib conflicts tested? I'd like to verify that there are
> > no conflicts anymore before building.
>
> Install x86_64 package. Then, in separate transaction, install i386 package.

I can't do that in my system since I have an i386. Were the bugreports
done that way?

> > Also will this be extended to binary files?
>
> Depends. ELF files? No. Other binary files? (data, etc.) - yes.

Ok. My personal opinion is that it would be better to extend to ELF files
too, but there is considerable controversy on that subject, and on how
to fix the multiarch issue.

> > And last what to do when the conflict is 'logical'? I have 2 examples in
> > the bes package:
> >
> > * there is a bes-config file which specifies the directory where
> >   dlopened backend modules are, this is a %_libdir subdirectory, so,
> >   it is logical to have a difference between arches.
>
> The general way to do this is making the *-config script call pkg-config.

Ok. This requires collaboration with upstream, but it is worth pursuing.

--
Pat