Re: Some thoughts about firmware inclusion.

Le Mar 23 octobre 2007 02:39, Ian Chapman a écrit :
> Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> This is not the same thing as a firmware, because firmware doesn't
>> execute on the host CPU.  Practically speaking, that's where we draw
>> the
>> line.
>
> This is not meant as a facetious question but how does this pan out
> with
> regards to emulators? Most of which require some sort of firmware
> which
> runs on the 'virtual' CPU which is technically speaking running on the
> real CPU, perhaps even more so in cases where JIT compilation is used.

That probably means you need to package "firmware" building tools in
fedora and use them to build the "firmware" source in the "firmware"
package. And we may have been lax on the subject in the past for games
but as the OP message shows it's a quick path to shipping pre-built
closed java or.Net binaries and effectively having a non-free system.

Bootstrapping may be needed as in every language we've merged.

--
Nicolas Mailhot