Multiarch crazyiness

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 14:39:53 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse writes:

 > On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:26 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > There is one case where we do.  Sometimes people will have a need for
 > > both 32-bit and 64-bit Java virtual machines.
 > >
 > > For example, one user may have a small Java application that runs best
 > > on a 32-bit VM (or maybe even has a native library that hasn't been
 > > ported to 64 bits) and at the same time another user is running an
 > > application that needs the huge memory of a 64-bit VM.  In that case,
 > > you need two binaries called java, one 32-bit and one 64-bit.  I don't
 > > think there's any way around this.
 >
 > I thought we'd fixed (or worked around, if you prefer) that a while ago,
 > by putting it somewhere under %{_libdir}/java/ ?

That's a solution.

All I'm saying is that there _is_ a case where you want "both [32- and
64-bit] versions of a binary installed at the same time".  There are
lots of ways to fix the problem, of course.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903