CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 15:31:51 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> A: I have not DVD drives.
>>
>> It could be explained better, but "askmethod" allows installation of
>> a DVD
>> image with only a (or even no) CD drive, as long as the DVD image is
>> made
>> available during the install.  I keep mine on C: (sda1,/), but a USB
>> key or
>> hard drive would also work.  (I have a DVD drive, and I boot the DVD,
>> but
>> one can just burn the RescueCD image that comes with the DVD, at
>> least with
>> the torrent).
>
> That's oh so true but askmethod is a long way from "Next, Next,
> Finish" which is the way you'd want to able to tell anyone when they
> ask "How to install Fedora".

One thing I'd thought about a couple of times is creating a
"http://ks.fedoraproject.org/" site that includes a minimal ks config,
like method=http://path/to/our/mirrors"  it'd work with our current
setup pretty easy, could even create install medium that defaults to
it.  The main blocker is I'm not sure how anaconda will deal with bad
mirrors (they do happen) and being able to switch mirrors in the middle
of an install would be nice.

    -Mike