BIG FAT WARNING: Breaking X in rawhide

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 11:46:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 03:36 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> tor, 25 10 2007 kl. 15:42 -0400, skrev Adam Jackson:
> > Hopefully I have your attention.
> >
> > We're working on a lot of stuff that's going into upstream X really
> > soon.  It's going to be quite disruptive, many drivers will fail to
> > launch, etc.  Good stuff, but disruptive.
> >
> > I want to rebase rawhide to git xserver really soon, before November if
> > possible but definitely before December.  I'll work to make sure most
> > people can get _some_ X when that happens, but it's definitely going to
> > hurt for about a month.
> >
> > I want to make sure everyone knows this is coming, and if anyone has
> > suggestions for how to time this best and communicate all the caveats
> > and workarounds, please, speak up now.
>
> Could I convince you to do a brief little write up as to what wonderous
> magic this will bring us, I mean aside the fun breakage.

We have two projects that I thought were written up somewhere but maybe
not :)

1. Composite by default.

This fixes up open source drivers and infrastructure to allow composited
desktops to be enabled by default, especially with 3D apps and movie
playing. Its mostly catching the open source DRI infrastructure up with
the needs of the modern desktop. It will mostly be targeting Intel
hardware in the initial release.

2. Smooth GUI booting.

The aim is to get from grub to gdm login with only one mode set and make
it all transition smoothly between applications... Again initially
targeted at Intel hardware, we want to move to kernel side device
drivers for graphics cards which should allows up only set the mode once
on boot in an optimal configuration and avoid nasty flickering and stuff
as the machine starts.

Jumping to an Xorg 1.5 pre-release means we also need to deal with a new
pci layer and input hotplug layers.

Dave.