Re: Fedorability of dvbcut ?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 12:07:01AM +1100, David Timms wrote:
> I'm keen to repackage dvbcut for Fedora.
> http://dvbcut.sourceforge.net/installation.html
> The application can be used to trim up a mpeg2 transport stream for
> example recorded from a DVB tuner card, and output in mpeg2 program
> stream format.
> As packaged in packman, it warns:
> - qt3 is needed by dvbcut-0.5.4-0.pm.0.i586
> - libffmpeg0 is needed by dvbcut-0.5.4-0.pm.0.i586
> It can also use mplayer, and finds this through name within your path,
> ie it is not actually required for the program to run.
> With ffmpeg and mplayer installed, a rpm -Uvh --nodeps allows it to run
> fine.
> It's main function is the conversion from transport stream to program
> stream of given selections, however, it does recode frames at the start
> and end of each clip.
> So given the linking {I think} of ffmpeg, and the need for easiest use
> of having mplayer installed, am I correct in assuming this will be no go
> in FedoraPC ?

ffmpeg is patent-encumbered, thus no-go in Fedora.  If your
application can use other codecs that are free and are included in
Fedora (e.g. Ogg Theora), but may also use ffmpeg if present, then
it could fit.

> And if that's the case, how does the included kernel module for
> controlling / receiving mpeg2 transport streams from my DVB card fit
> with Fedora ?

The hardware manufacturer will have a patent license that allows them
to use mpeg2.  That same patent license most likely does not extend to you
as an end user for use outside of their hardware.

Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux