Summary of the 2007-10-30 Packaging Committee meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 20:52:59 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jason L Tibbitts III (tibbs at math.uh.edu) said:
>> * Standardizing the set of virtual provides for various servers:
>>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ServerProvides
>>   * Accepted (5 - 0)
>>   * Voting for: spot rdieter abadger1999 tibbs f13
>>   * There is still tweaking to be done, and because this will require
>>     changes to several packages, FPC is asking that this be driven via
>>     the feature process for F-9.
>
> Changing these concerns me - what about not-built-in-Fedora packages that
> have the old dependencies?

Should we change this:
'''
In my opinion (PatriceDumas) the choice to remove the smtpdaemon virtual
provides in Provides or leave it for backward compatibility should be
left to the maintainer. All the Requires should be changed, however.
'''
to be more definite?  Maybe:

'''
When you implement the new Provides, please leave the old ones so that
third party packages that have grown to depend on them can continue to
function.  The Requires for all Fedora packages should be changed to use
the new provides by F-9, however.
'''

-Toshio