Re: Services automaticly change firewall rules to open access to themselfs.

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 08:08:48 -0400,
  Steve Grubb <sgrubb redhat com> wrote:

> Agreed. Besides, I've seen drives go from good to crap within an hour. A daily
> report would be too late to be of use. I'd rather see us develop the
> infrastructure for messaging around rsyslog so that each daemon does not need
> to be modified if there was something that an admin wanted to be alerted for.

You can schedule smartd to run more than once a day. This might particularly
make sense for the short selft tests that run in a couple of minutes.
And smartd itself can send mail alerts when specific things are detected.
Since you can specify a command to run to send the mail, this notification
could also do other things.