Re: Redesigning System Services (Re: My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...)

Martin Sourada wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 23:05 +0200, Stewart Adam wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 10:45 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
Actually, the bigger problem is the concept that everything has to be a
"system service run from an initscript".  To pick a specific case -- the
fact that bluetooth daemons get started by an initscript as a service is
really not what you want at this point.  You instead want them being
started based on the existence of the hardware probably as a hal
callout[1].
+1

The ideal solution would be to run bluetooth only when bluetooth
hardware is present, the same when applicable to all other services.

About the defaults - If/When should we reselect what will be the
defaults? I forget which release it was planned for, but I do remember
seeing a page on the Wiki at one point about disabling sendmail and the
rpc* services, but it never seemed to have happened. I think it would be
a good change to make for F8. A small one, but a change nonetheless.

Stewart

We are past the feature freeze, I don't think this is possible... BUT.

As someone who was recently educated about this - remember, the feature freeze has nothing to do with keeping features out of F8 past the feature freeze deadline. It *only* has to do with what features are going to be heavily marketed.

I was confused as well, thinking that the motivation for feature freeze had something to do with preventing de-stabalizing things from being added past the freeze. That is what feature freeze means in many organizations. Not so in fedora. In fedora, de-stabalizing things cannot be added after devel-freeze.

-dmc