Re: Goal: Increased Modularity?

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 15:21 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Has anyone considered a system that 'makes sense' for multiuser
> operation where different users want different alternative targets at
> once - or the same user wants alternative JVMs for different
> applications at the same time?

Perhaps for certain things, alternative isn't the correct device to use.
Personally, I set JAVA_HOME (along with PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH). For
other packages, I still do PATH=$PACKAGE/bin:$PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
$PACKAGE/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH. It's old-school but it still works,
specially on a per-user level.
--

Richi Plana