NetworkManager and "illegal" SSID chars = crash?

Although technically wireless SSIDs have to be alphanumeric, practically
speaking other "asciibetic" characters work fine in MS Windows and MacOS.
Therefore, people use them.

In multiple places I frequent (like, say, my house), iwlist scan will show
one or more SSIDs in the form of a URL, containing ":", ".", and
"/" characters. In these locations, NetworkManager crashes on startup.

Anyone else recognize this behavior?