Re: Goal: Increased Modularity?

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Richi Plana (myfedora richip dhs org) said:
For instance, if I desired to come up with a spin that doesn't have
Sendmail, why must I give up fetchmail, mutt or tor?

Because they *require* a MTA to deliver/send the mail, at least in their
default configurations

Why is it that so
many packages can't stand alone without libvorbis? I know that some of
the packages NEED libvorbis, but for many, shouldn't it be optional and
something that isn't required to be compiled against (think dlopen(3)
instead of ld(1)) like gstreamer-plugins-* (which all seem to require
libvorbis)?

dlopen will cause you to break at runtime instead of buildtime if
ABI changes - that's not good.

You should expect things to break when you change an interface - pretty much by definition. If it hurts, don't do it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com