Re: NetworkManager and "illegal" SSID chars = crash?

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 15:06 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> The drivers return a 32-byte array containing arbitrary values to
> NetworkManager, which is technically correct.  It's up to NM and
> userspace to deal with this somehow.  802.11 specifies nothing about
> encoding or anything other than a max length of 32 bytes.

Right-o. And it's probably only chance coincidence that most wireless
dev manufacturers allowed text input for the ESSID (or maybe it was a
common stroke of brilliance).

At any rate, because of a lack of specification, we have to deal with
partial chaos (a recurring theme. Yay well-written specs!).
--

Richi Plana