Re: Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
Heh :)
Have you ever tried to install, say mp3-decoding plugins into
GStreamer? There are a 4 subpackages with nothing-said-about-content
names as gstreamer-plugins-bad, gstreamer-plugins-good etc.
If I grep through "yum list" results I see nothing in this case but I
never heard that anybody wants to change this situation.

Well, the above is really a bug to file for livna - but again - ask them
to add provides.

In case of mp3 - yes. But what about flac, ogg, wavpack etc?

[petro Sulaco ~]$ sudo yum install gstreamer-plugins-ogg
fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do
[petro Sulaco ~]$

Well in case off gstreamer-plugins-ugly from that other repo it has:
Provides:       gstreamer-mad = %{version}-%{release}

I agree, not very usefull to a casual user, but I think we all agree the current codec situation is a pain. With that said I'm all for virtual provides for gstreamer plugins to make things easier on the end user, the only problem is what do we put in those virtual provides?

Regards,

Hans