Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: New db4 update and package changes

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Saturday 08 September 2007, Michel Salim wrote:
> > On 11/08/2007, Robert Scheck <robert fedoraproject org> wrote:
> >
> > > thousands of -devel packages is in my not so humble opinion what the
> > > reporter of bug #220484 would like to see. And I don't believe, there's
> > > any real benefit of doing so, so please avoid it. We're living in the 3rd
> > > year- thousand and I don't want to calculate what 5 MB of disk space
> > > could cost.
> >
> > Thirded. Consider that good ol' Slackware does not even split
> > development files out of their main packages!
>
> 5MB is actually pretty much if you consider setups on space constrained media
> such as live CDs, small flash disks etc.  There have been other related
> lengthy discussions about things such as trimming package changelogs which
> would result in the same order of magnitude space savings when installed, so
> there are people who do care about numbers like that.

Ehem. I talked about 5 MB for splitting the -devel package itself. Since
when are db4-devel packages installed on live CDs, small flash disks etc.?
And no, it's not the same. So please don't bring my argumentation out of
context! Ville, I agree with you 5 MB are much for tiny mediums or embedded
devices, but this is not related to -devel packages itself.

Thanks,
  Robert