Announcing rpmfusion

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Sep 11 06:38:19 UTC 2007

The Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna teams, already joined by some Fedora
contributors, are proud to announce the RPM Fusion project.

RPM Fusion aims to bring together many packagers from various 3rd party repos
and build a single add-on repository for Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

We don't have a repository ready for end users yet, but we are actively working
on merging the following ones:

     * http://dribble.org.uk/
     * http://freshrpms.net/
     * http://rpm.livna.org/

We will have two distinct repositories: free and non-free. Free will contain
Open Source Software (as defined by the Fedora Packaging Guidelines) which
can't be included in Fedora -- for example because it might be patent
encumbered in the US. Non-free will contain everything else which is not free
software (as defined by the Fedora Licensing Guidelines), like software with
public available source-code that has "no commercial use" restrictions or the
graphics drivers from AMD and Nvidia.

Repositories and infrastructure will follow Fedora where possible. This means
using Fedora's packaging guidelines (except for legal), Fedora's review process
for new submissions, Fedora's VCS structure etc.

It will contain add-on packages and not replacements in relation to the base
package set. Whereby the base package set is defined as: RHEL/CentOS + EPEL or
Fedora (Fedora 7+).

It will contain kernel module packages in the main repo, even if Fedora will
drop them (which looks likely as of August 2007).

We aim to provide support for all 'current' versions of Fedora including devel,
for i386, ppc, ppc64 and x86_64.

We hope to attract new Fedora packagers and many other 3rd party repositories.

Please join our mailing list at: