Announcing rpmfusion

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 11 20:07:55 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC)
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
>>> Thanks for this split. Hopefully we will able to link to the free
>>> part from within Fedora.
>> Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to. The stuff in the
>> free part (or most of it, at least) is going to be exactly the stuff
>> which Legal is most uncomfortable with: Free Software, but
>> patent-encumbered in the US.
>
> And really, if we could reference it, then why the crap couldn't we
> just package it in our repo?

There is a lot of differences between pointing to the repository and
including the packages directly as I already explained in Fedora
Advisory Board list so I won't rehash all the arguments again now.
Please read the releated threads if you missed it. In short, it is not
possible to include patent-encumbered packages directly in the
repository as long as it hosted in US. Pointing to it might very well be
possible.

Rahul