Announcing rpmfusion

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Sep 11 21:17:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 15:50 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> ATrpms was one of the only repos that I always advised against
> installing for usability reasons. Because of the large amount of package
> replacements in AT, updating with ATrpms in yum.repos.d often causes
> very invasive changes, and when things go wrong finding the issue
> becomes a pain.

I have to agree. At first, I would avoid ATRPMs simply because it would
provide packages (using the same names) as the ones in Fedora. It took
me a while before I realized that many of these "duplicate packages"
were there because of some added feature which (I'm guessing) inherently
couldn't be separated into parts (Modularity).

One example is ATRPMS' spamassassin package. As I understand it, ATRPMS
spamassassin package makes use of Vipul's Razor
(http://razor.sourceforge.net/) thereby increasing spamassassin's value.
Unfortunately, spamassassin razor functionality probably couldn't be
separated into an optional package and Axel decided to name the combined
integrated package spamassassin (as opposed to, say,
spamassassin-razor ... which, by the by, it still a kludge IMO).

Or his bugzilla seems to require ruby, ImageMagick, and perl-GD*. (again
perhaps added functionality that couldn't be packaged separately and
still calling it the same package).

Axel has, however, made very good decisions technically (like changing
library names to include major versions so that different versioned
libraries could be installed in parallel, kmdl has the ability to pull
in the correct kernel modules for any arbitrary kernel version if they
existed in the repository). That and he has packages that aren't
available in other repos (like asterisk and mythtv) made me decide to
use his repository as well.

As for some decisions that I'm half-and-half with, they would include
using newer versions of packages (which didn't work for me because the
newer version of mjpegtools wouldn't work) and the fact that there are
times when there would be no compromising between his personal taste and
that of others.

I think it's always good to take the good things from various schemes
and throw away the bad ones to form a cohesive whole. If people could
get over personal pride and bigotry, that is.
--

Richi Plana