rawhide report: 20070912 changes

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Sep 13 16:06:33 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 <at> freenet.de> writes:
> What he did was to take out a gun, aim at my head and yell
> "Arse, you add them package config files immediately or I'll shoot"

He didn't say "arse". You were the one using vulgar words.

> >  What would the
> > alternative to pkgconfig .pc files then be?
> Passing CFLAGS and LIBS from the command line, like with any other
> package on this planet.

What planet are you living on? ;-) Here on Earth, most software builds with
just:
./configure
make
make install
(Even more if you accept "qmake", "qmake-qt4" or "cmake", again with no
required arguments, as a configure step.)

Sure, you _can_ pass CFLAGS, if you need to pass stuff like the RPM_OPT_FLAGS.
But the package should compile with the default CFLAGS, in particular headers
and libraries are supposed to be figured out automatically. (That's what
the "auto" in "autotools" means. And other build systems, while not
carrying "auto" in the name, are supposed to work the same way.)

        Kevin Kofler