Re: Re: Disable IPv6 by default.

Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 10:25:31AM +0200, Laurent Rineau wrote:
On Thursday 13 September 2007 21:12:54 Chris Adams wrote:
My main problem is that I configure IPv4 and I explicitly have IPv6
turned off (or so it appears in the interface), yet I still have IPv6
loaded and used.  This causes annoying warnings from programs trying to
use an unconfigured IPv6 interface.

If I don't configure IPv4, the interface isn't configured; why is it
that way with IPv6?  If I don't configure anything for IPv6, it is still
loaded.
It is the way of doing for a end-user machin, in IPv6: you do not need to configure your IPv6 parameters. If an IPv6-enabled router exists in your local network, it will broadcast the needed configuration. In a sens IPv6 is more "plug and play" than IPv4. For that mecanism to work, IPv6 interfaces are always up.

Recent OSes including Fedora do configure IPv4 automatically too. You'll see 169.254.x.x addresses appear if there is no DHCP server response.

And the first step after every Fedora installation is always to disable
this microsoft feature and potential security hole.

 /etc/sysconfig/network
NOZEROCONF=yes

Jochen Schlick