Disable IPv6 by default.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Fri Sep 14 17:03:36 UTC 2007

Richi Plana wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 17:32 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
>
>> Adding an option to disable it would be good. I'd use it myself, until
>> IPv6 is actually supported by the network I'm on (it isn't). I just
>> wouldn't have argued for "by default" by any means. If it's enabled,
>> then when ISPs (and hardware, corporate networks ...) actually support
>> it en masse, Fedora installs are, well, ready. :)
>>

> Actually, even though I don't use IPv6, I'd still argue for it to be on
> "by default". Because the only people who'd care to have it on or off
> should have the capacity to wade in to the System menus and switch it
> off. The rest can just be pleasantly surprised when IPv6 gets supported
> in their infrastructure. I'm just getting tired of manually doing things
> by hand (though I should really try kickstart one of these days. I
> understand a lot of preconfiguration can be done before installation
> these days ... both in low-level subsystems as well as user session
> ones).
> --
>
> Richi Plana

Reminder on the Topic..

Should we or should we not disable IPv6 during installation/Anaconda

Should we or should we not allow the user to decide during installation
( Anaconda or after installation S-C-N ).

         * Default left as is support both
         * User can choose whether he wants to use either IPv6 or IPv4
         * If users decides to choose either one the other one is properly
            turned off!
         * If user choose either one and service explicitly depend on
either one
            the system could notify the user like..
            Service A could not be started because it relies on IPv6 and
IPv6
            is currently disabled! To use this service ( service A ) please
            enabled it in system-config-network and then restart the service
           ( Service A )

If we decided not to allow the user to choose, where are we gonna
draw the line on how *smarter* then the user is the system is supposed to
be???

Look at M$ it takes all the intellect user decisions for the users and
then questions everything else the user does ( are you sure you want to do
this and that )!!!!

When user is given option to turn something on ( enable/disable/start/stop )
the "program" is started and everything that relies on it as well or on
demand and when that "program" is stopped then it and everything related
should stop as well,  ( programs should be notified and that option in
them should be turned
off so they can stop waiting and wondering if they receiving instruction
regarding something that has been turned off).

If not were just wasting resources...

Best regards
                 Johann B.

Ps.
         For all you IPv6 Fan boys out there how well is it working when
implemented???
         How well is it working out site your LAN/WAN and communicating
with the rest off the world???
         How well is strictly use of IPv6 working in communicating out
site LAN/WAN deployment..
         How well are ( M$ ) clients handling falling to IPv4 when there
is no IPv6 AAAA records in DNS servers.

         For a fact company's aren't gonna switch unless ( forced or
business wize ) they have to <periot>

I vote turn it of by default.

Best regards..
                 Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801