Disable IPv6 by default.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Sep 15 11:59:21 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 08:45 -0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> This is just not worth changing defaults over. IPv6 is the future
> (whether you like it or not), so lets just leave it there to be as ready
> as possible when the ship sails. I haven't swithced to IPv6 either, but
> it takes less that 30 secs to disable it on a newly installed system. 30
> secs that I can easily spare on this.

A whole 30 seconds? You can actually get proper IPv6 connectivity in
that amount of time, if you have a public IPv4 address:

echo IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=tun6to4 >> /etc/sysconfig/network
echo IPV6INIT=yes    >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo IPV6TO4INIT=yes >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

More details, and how to set it up to route for a whole subnet of
machines so that all you have to do is plug them in, at
http://linux.yyz.us/ipv6-fc2-howto.html

--
dwmw2