Re: Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Richi Plana wrote:
On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:18 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
Not sure if this is the relevant list, but...is there any possibility
of F8 having a graphical shutdown? Perhaps even just a non-verbose
shutdown mode? It's just my humble opinion, but I find it looks ugly
and breaks the experience a bit...

If I were to guess at people's responses ...

The crowd who wanted an all-text startup complete with kernel messages
for debugging purposes would probably say "breaks what experience? It's
a shutdown. By definition, the experience should be over"

People who believe in symmetry or consistency would probably argue for a
similar setup to the graphical start-up procedure (since services
shutting down also give out similar status results).

My questions: 1) What would it take to use rhgb for shutdown? Is it just
a matter of executing /usr/bin/rhgb as in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit upon
shutting down? The messages in rhgb startup seem generic enough (no
mention of "Starting up..")
I believe that some of the cleanup for the bootup sequence mentioned getting rid of rhgb in favor of a new solution
2) How exactly does /sbin/shutdown work, anyway? I'm familiar with how
the startup scripts get called by init on startup (via sysinit
-> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit), but I've never figured out how it gets started
on shutdown.
I believe it signals init to drop into runlevel zero (halted) via dbus.
Slightly related topic ... well, alright, off-topic. 3) Is there going
to be a move by Fedora to something other/better than SysVInit?
--

This was discussed some time back. There was somewhat of a decision to stick with SysV and focus on improving its functionality (though I would prefer a new system)
Richi Plana