problems writing cd/dvd

I've been hit by a problem which I _think_ is due to a bug in growisofs, but I am not sure. Basically, the disks written (either directly with growisofs or via k3b) sometimes are OK but most often then not, they are not recognized as being ISO9660. For instance:

   [wolfy wolfy64 ~]$ isoinfo -i /tmp/test.iso -d
   CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
   System id: LINUX
   Volume id: test
   Volume set id:
   Publisher id:
   Data preparer id:
   Application id: GENISOIMAGE ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM CREATOR (C) 1993
   E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997-2006 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING (C) 2006-2007 CDRKIT
   TEAM
   Copyright File id:
   Abstract File id:
   Bibliographic File id:
   Volume set size is: 1
   Volume set sequence number is: 1
   Logical block size is: 2048
   Volume size is: 12060
   NO Joliet present
   Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
   [wolfy wolfy64 ~]$ growisofs -Z /dev/dvdwriter=/tmp/test.iso
   Executing 'builtin_dd if=/tmp/test.iso of=/dev/dvdwriter obs=32k seek=0'
   /dev/dvdwriter: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1352KBps.
             0/24698880 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
             0/24698880 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
             0/24698880 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
       1048576/24698880 ( 4.2%) @0.2x, remaining 5:38 RBU 100.0% UBU   3.1%
      17825792/24698880 (72.2%) @3.6x, remaining 0:07 RBU  41.0% UBU  99.8%
   builtin_dd: 12064*2KB out @ average 0.9x1352KBps
   /dev/dvdwriter: flushing cache
   /dev/dvdwriter: stopping de-icing
   /dev/dvdwriter: writing lead-out
   /dev/dvdwriter: reloading tray
   [wolfy wolfy64 ~]$ isoinfo dev=/dev/dvdwriter  -debug
   CD-ROM is NOT in ISO 9660 format

   The problem can be reduced sometimes to the following sequence:

   [wolfy wolfy64 tmp]$     for i in `seq 1 5`; do growisofs -Z
   /dev/dvdwriter=/home/wolfy/cd_space/ghost.iso ; isoinfo
   dev=/dev/dvdwriter  -debug;done

--> exhibited no error. Trying again, 1 min later with absolutely no change in the system:

   [wolfy wolfy64 tmp]$ growisofs -Z
   /dev/dvdwriter=/home/wolfy/cd_space/ghost.iso
   WARNING: /dev/dvdwriter already carries isofs!
   About to execute 'builtin_dd if=/home/wolfy/cd_space/ghost.iso
   builtin_dd: 1344*2KB out @ average 1.0x1352KBps
   /dev/dvdwriter: flushing cache
   /dev/dvdwriter: stopping de-icing
   /dev/dvdwriter: writing lead-out
   [wolfy wolfy64 tmp]$ sudo mount /dev/dvdwriter /mnt/dvd
   mount: you must specify the filesystem type

   I've tried (but failed) to finalize the disk manually, using:

   [wolfy wolfy64 tmp]$   growisofs -M /dev/dvdwriter=/dev/zero
   :-( /dev/dvdwriter doesn't look like isofs...

Now, I do admit that I might be plain dumb, but I've tested dozens of times and - about 15 of the DVDs written for the Freemedia project during the last month (that is, roughly half of them) are non functional. All of them have been created using the option "write dvd to disk" from k3b - other .iso images (see above) are sometimes written OK, sometimes (most of the times) not - disks created using genisoimage with the option "-udf" (in whatever combination) seem to fail always - the problem was first spotted while using an ASUS 804P (ATA) which is now used by a colleague without problems; meanwhile I have replaced it with a SATA unit, DRW-1814BLT.
- I have replaced the power supply
- I have used several types of media(DVD-R, DVD+R, lately DVD+RW, from different manufacturer[s] lots) but I have found no correlation - I have tried to disable udev (udevcontrol stop_exec_queue)/dbus (service messagebus stop) but to no avail. For a period of time I had the impression that writing a dis and allowing the system to automount it would lead to defective subsequent written disks. However the problem appears even if I explicitely umount the first disk , or if I do not mount it at all.

   I emphasize that I have absolutely no other problems with the system

It looks to me like a bug in finalizing the disks, but I do not know how to test (no other machine with DVD-ROM and anything else but linux around). Any ideas, before filing a bug?